Cycle Touring: Tropical North Queensland is a cycling tourist’s delight. Allow a few days on the Tablelands then diverge north or south onto the flat coastal plain or head west to the wide open spaces of the interior. Tableland Adventure Guides provide information on road conditions and itineraries to make your trip easier. Call Peter on 0441 851 7979 or go to www.tablelandadventureguides.com.au.
Mountain Biking: There are 2 excellent and well established MTB venues on the Tablelands;
1) Little Transfield via Mareeba – further details and maps at www.mareebamountaingoats.com
2) Atherton Forest MTB Park – further details and maps at www.nprsr.qld.gov.au/parks/herberton-range/mountain-bike.html
www.tablelandcyclesports.com has a calendar of MTB events and itineraries in the region.
Rail Trails: the first of an exciting network of Rail Trails is scheduled to be completed in mid 2014. Tableland Regional Council have taken the initiative and are establishing a 6.5 km user friendly link from Platypus Park in Atherton, to Tolga. The trail will be accessible to cyclists, walkers and horse riders. Further links between Tolga and Mareeba and eventually Atherton to Herberton are also on the drawing board. For further information on Rail Trails go to www.railtrails.org.au.
Road Cycling: visit the Tableland Cycle Sports website – www.tablelandcyclesports.com for information, calendar of events and itineraries
– Tableland Adventure Guides have a range of bikes for hire – call them on 0441 851 7979 or go to www.tablelandadventureguides.com.au
– On the Wallaby Lodge have a range of bicycles available for half or full day hire. For more information please contact them on 07 4095 2031 or www.onthewallaby.com.
Bike Store and Repairs: speak to the friendly guys at Northern Bikes in Atherton on 40 912244 or visit their store on Main Street
General Information: visit the local Information centres at Yungaburra or Atherton for general cycling information
– Tableland Adventure Guides offer a range of guided tours from ½ day to 8 days – call them on 0441 851 7979 or go to www.tablelandadventureguides.com.au
– On the Wallaby Lodge offer a morning 1/2 day guided bike tour. For more information please contact them on 07 4095 2031 or www.onthewallaby.com.
Local Bike Info & Network: Bike Linx Far North Queensland Cycling Adventures – http://bikelinx.com.au/
See you in Yungaburra!